Friday, August 19, 2011

Old Time Baseball

Has it really been almost a month since I last wrote on here? I guess so. Unfortunately, I haven't gone to any baseball games in the past month because of my drying-up finances. The Tacoma-Seattle trip was a good idea, but it will just have to wait until next year.

However, all is not lost. One of the most endearing qualities of baseball road trips are their spontaneity and their resolve. This next trip will uphold those values to the fullest. Tomorrow, I will be boarding the train up to Portland for a baseball game.

You might be asking yourself, didn't the Portland Beavers leave town? You are correct, but I am not going to see the Beavers play. Every year, around this time, the Pacific Northwest Vintage Baseball Club organizes an Old Time Baseball game at Fort Vancouver. They dress up in period apparel, play with the old equipment, and abide by the seemingly ancient rules of play.  It is free to go, so I had to jump at the chance for this unique baseball road trip. Seeing the game played like that is sure to be very interesting and entertaining.

Baseball Road Trips aren't just going to professional games and stadiums, it is the experiences that surround the game. Old Time Baseball, while it won't count in my log book, it will be the experience of uniqueness that makes this trip worthwhile.

I'm also going to use the opportunity to go on a bike ride up there, thus meshing together my two desires from this summer. It should be a fun trip and I will make sure to update the blog when I get back into town.

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment