Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Final Thoughts on the Surfliner

 
Sometimes being opportunistic is the best way to spawn new adventures. The Surfliner baseball road trip epitomized this. I can clearly remember sitting in Union Station last year and reading up on the Dodger Stadium Express and the FlyAway and saying to myself, "Gosh, it would be kind of fun to come down for a Dodgers game next year." The trip was in my mind through all the adventures last year and up through the Cactus League trip in March. It finally came to fruition and became a reality. The humorous irony of this trip is that I have concocted a few more spin-offs for next year.

I had only been through Los Angeles, but never made it a destination. On this trip, it received the same scrutiny and praise as every other city I have been to since BRTs began. That being said, Los Angeles probably ranks as the worst city I have ever been to. The combination of heat, smog, lack of public transportation options and abject poverty just knocked it down so far in my book. It hasn't been very often when I was walking around a city, whether it be day or night, and not felt safe. On a Saturday morning at 9am, looking for a pharmacy, I felt vulnerable and exposed. I had read about this reputation that Los Angeles had, but viewed it with a little bit of skepticism. I believe all of it now.

What would be one word I could describe my experience at Dodger Stadium? Sadness. This ballpark has held up well with it's age (it is the third-oldest park in the Majors), is in a beautiful location and houses a team steeped in history. So how could it be so low in my book? To put it simply, it is the atmosphere. It just is not a fun experience. The tense environment of all the police officers mingling with the gang members makes for a tinder-box like atmosphere. A baseball game should be a respite from all of that, not a gathering place. The ownership of the Dodgers has, literally, let that organization go to hell.

However, I would very much appreciate the chance to go back to Dodger Stadium when there is a new owner. The only place the Dodgers can go is up, so it might be an interesting comparison to go back in a few years and see if new ownership has changed things.

My second trip to San Diego was just as revealing as the first. I am always amazed at the stark differences between San Diego and LA, and this trip cemented those views. After my second time, I have a very good handle on the public transportation in San Diego, the neighborhoods, where the good places to eat and drink are, the ferries to Coronado and some history of the city. Would I call myself a local? Not by any means, but I would dare to call myself a seasoned tourist. The sights we saw and the events we experienced showed us that San Diego is a jewel of a city that should be visited as many times as possible.

Petco Park still remains one of my favorite parks. The whole aura of the place just screams acceptance and hospitality. It was, again, a stark difference from its northern ballpark counterpart in Los Angeles. While I'm not ready to jump on the Padres bandwagon, I can jump on the Petco train and spout off the wonderful times that will be had and the exceptional nature of the park.

This was a rewarding trip with lots of memories. I'm glad to be home safe, but I am very eager to head back out to explore new adventures on the road and see some more baseball.

I'm still debating where to go next. My money situation is a bit tight due to me moving into a new apartment, so I might be modifying some trips. Tentatively scheduled is a trip to Reno, Sacramento and the Bay Area in three weeks, but that might change. I will let all of you know what happens with that.

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment